Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Cold Cave (live at the LG Arena, 18/5/14)

The B-town Blog: Telling you about much more than just the music. 

I was in the perfect mood for a nine inch nails gig by the time I'd got to see the supports, Cold Cave open. After showing up to the NIA, to find a Kids wrestling match, I looked at the ticket and realised for the first time that the NIA and LG arena's are not the same place. i also realised that the ticket said the show started at 7:30.  It was 7:30. I ask the taxi driver next to me how much it would cost to get a lift to the LG and he says £28(!) I tell him to fuck off and end up getting there for £20. the first thing i saw when i got inside the arena was about 10 stands selling food, a SEAT and a woman trying to give me a flyer.  the LG Arena is a very modern looking place, but it has a very corporate family friendly vibe to it. It was made to host Disney on ice, not heavy metal gigs.

I'm still a bit miffed that I'm there by myself, but I manage to sneak up pretty close to the front while Cold Cave are playing.

Cold Cave make the sort of music  you didn't realise people made any more. Gothtronica that sounds like it came straight from the 80's. A guy singing in a deep voice about how sad he is (probably) and a girl(?) making New Order-ish waves of beats. I over heard a few NIN fans saying they were shit, but I kind of enjoyed them. The singer made an interesting point about how there are no rules any more. You can make music in your bedroom and end up in an arena in a few years later. If there ever was a band whose sole purpose was to support nine inch nails then it's Cold Cave. If you own everything that New Order, The Cure, Depeche mode, Sisters of Mercy - and all those other goth bands from the 80's that I'm not cool enough to know all about- have made then you should definitely check out Cold Cave. Otherwise you should just enjoy them, if you do find yourself waiting for a better band to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment